Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Cheshire Chest

A page from my sketchbook.

In progress. The cat and fronds are the
front panel of the drawer.
Back view with niche.
The top box has been added... the curved
lid comes off.
The bisqued box with temporary
wire for the bird.

 As I'm stuck on the couch and can't play in clay yet, I thought I'd share some photos of The Cheshire Chest seen in the banner of my blog.  I learned the technique of making the working drawer and little niche at a fabulous workshop with Lana Wilson and Margaret Bohls a few years ago.  It's finished with acrylic paint, because I wanted the bright colors, and I added wooden feet.  This piece won the Award for 3 Dimensional work at a juried Open Show at the Oak Ridge Art Center in 2009.  It was one of the most fun pieces I've ever worked on.


A view with the drawer open and the top lid removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment